Skilled for the future – More youths in vocational education in the Capital Region
LO Hovedstaden and the Capital Region of Denmark have initiated the project "Flere unge i EUD i Region H. Faglært som førstevalg - Tidlig vejledningsindsats og revitalisering af erhvervspraktikken i grundskolen" (More young people in vocational education in the Capital Region. Skilled as a first choice – early guidance and the revitalisation of internships for pre-secondary school pupils).The project sets out to strengthen young people’s career competencies in a vocational direction and is aimed at 6th to 9th grade students in schools in the western part of Copenhagen.
The Centre for Youth Research will evaluate the project. The evaluation involves a qualitative study of selected students’ career competencies and career choice competencies in their choice of secondary education, as well as a study of the significance of efforts to strengthen guidance by providing knowledge of vocational training and related professions.
Among the questions addressed by the study are the following:
- What significance does strengthened guidance have for the development of young people’s career competencies and career choice competencies?
- What change processes contribute to guidance that develops the career competencies and career choice competencies of young people?
- How do young people comprehend and handle their choice situation.
- What do young people emphasise in choosing a secondary education?
- What effect does knowledge about secondary education – the vocational educations in particular – have on young people’s deliberations and choices concerning a career?
- What is the effect of guidance to the secondary educations - the vocational educations in particular – on young people’s deliberations and choices concerning a career?
- How do teachers and secondary education counsellors understand and handle their role in guiding young people?
The project is a collaboration with LO-Hovedstaden and the Capital Region of Denmark.
01/02/2017 – 30/09/2019